Treating gastric reflux from a natural medicine perspective. Often when acid comes up from the burning in your throat after eating or in response to an emotional crisis can be caused by GERD. How can that happen? At the top of your stomach is a muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which normally opens and closes allowing food to enter the stomach? It prevents the acid in your stomach from backing up into your esophagus. One out of every ten people have the disease and suffer from the pain of heartburn every day.
1. Look for foods or food combinations that may be triggering the digestive upset. Suggestion: Keep a food diary for two weeks and record all food and drink ingested and the time it was taken.
2.Are you getting too fast or not chewing your food to a pulp? Suggestion: Time how long or the number of times you need to chew a bit of food to turn it to liquid in your mouth before swallowing it.
3. Eat small, frequent meals.
4. Are you eating to close to bedtime? Eat lightly. If you are eating meats or complex proteins within 3 hours of retiring, your food will rot in your stomach and cause indigestion.
5. Are you getting this burning at certain times of the day or night?
6. Are you staying up too late and not getting enough quality deep sleep to allow your digestive system to completely relax at night? From 11PM to 11 AM all your digestive organs actively try to balance their energy.
7. Have you checked the side effects of your medicines or supplements to see if they are in some way upsetting your system?
8. Wear loose natural clothing that breathes. Constriction can cause discomfort to an all ready bloated digestive system.
9. Maintain a healthy weight through proper food intake, exercise and deep breathing daily.
10. Do not lie down flat on your back after eating simply reclines on an angle.
11. When you go to sleep at night lie on an angle or on your left die if that is comfortable to ease stress on your esophageal tissues
12. Check with your homeopathic practitioner from constitutional remedies to help GERD
13. The following is a list of other herbs and supplements that have been used for relief of digestive upset.
14. Avoid fried foods, red meat, coffee, hot peppers like cinnamon, chile, red meat, peppers, mustard, alcohol, citrus, plums and tobacco.
15. These foods, supplements and herbs may help heal the inflamed tissues (if the person is not sensitive to them). Moist watery foods like watery soups, gruel of oats, barley or rice, honey, water, banana, avocado, tofu, soy milk, soured milk or yogurt, goats milk products, spinach, cucumber, cabbage, potato, seaweed, chlorophyll rich foods,
slippery elm, marshmallow, red raspberry and flax tea, chamomile tea if the person is not allergic to ragweed, Aloe vera avoids if pregnant or have a history of kidney problems
essential oil - Massage a drop or two topically on. stomach to soothe digestive problems
**Always seek medical advice if the burning persists.
There are a myriad of ways to cure and treat acid reflux and heartburn. The most common of which is by taking over the counter medications and doctor prescribed pills. If you are suffering from chronic heartburn or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) for a long time, you should be aware that there are natural remedies available for you in order to prevent it. This article will show you a few of the natural remedies that have worked for me. Try it for yourself as you have nothing to lose. These are all safe home remedies, you might already have one in your pantry now.
Instead of taking antacid when you feel the burning sensation behind your chest bone, try taking a mixture of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 8 0z of water. You can add honey so as you can dilute the taste of the vinegar. I have tried this myself and it actually provide instant relief to me every time I feel a heartburn coming. I literally said goodbye to my Zantac after discovering this miracle e cure.
Another remedy that works great for me is yogurt, specifically the Activia brand. Every time I feel bloated, I would eat yogurt (strawberry being my favorite flavor) and in a matter of minutes, I would feel the gassy feeling in my stomach fading away. Not only that, eating yogurt on a daily basis has been beneficial to my over all digestive system.
Papaya fruit is another natural remedy that has work wonders for me. I take it in the form of papaya shake mix with vanilla yogurt, crushed ice, fat free milk and a little bit of honey for added sweetness. It has the same effect on me as yogurt giving me relief every time I feel gassy or bloated.
One to two teaspoon of baking soda mix with about 8 oz of water is also effective for neutralizing the acid within the stomach. If you belch after taking this solution, then its a good sign.